Truck Smart focuses on the importance of driving roadworthy HGVs and the role of the driver in ensuring that vehicles and loads are safe and legal always. Alongside Truck Smart driver training there is an e-Learning module. The accompanying Fleet Manager Toolkit provides tools, guidance and resources for managers looking to develop and implement an HGV safety system within their organisation.
Truck Smart tracks a series of five themes. The five simple messages are echoed throughout both the Truck Smart training course and the accompanying Fleet Manager Toolkit. They are:
Know it: a safe vehicle matters
Check it: walk around before, during and after journeys
Load it: plan and position your load safely
Secure it: secure your load correctly
Report it: record problems and take action
What will drivers learn?
- Truck Smart follows a comprehensive course programme that also aligns to the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence syllabus. The course covers the following subject areas:
- Moral, economic, and legal importance of operating safe and roadworthy vehicles
- Drivers’ roles and responsibilities within the HGV safety system
- Vehicle checks and defect reporting
- The principles of safe loading
- The elements of a good load security system and the different types and uses of load restraints
- How to mitigate the effects of loads on driving and operational performance
- Roles and responsibilities of the regulatory and enforcement bodies
- Risks, penalties
Course Duration & Delegate numbers
The Truck Smart course is 7 hours of learning and can facilitate up to 24 people per course.
Please note: Lunch, refreshments and travel costs are not included.
IMPORTANT: Any driver attending the Truck Smart course must have their identity checked by either a photo card driving licence, or a Driver Qualification Card (DQC). This will allow FBG Training to register the driver onto the Transport for London database which confirms the driver has attended the course.
For a driver to be uploaded to the FORS/TfL register and/or be accredited with the Driver CPC hours they must complete the entire course.
This course contains content relevant to drivers that hold a vocational category C1, C, CE. The course content is not fully aligned to drivers with a vocational category D1, D, DE. The holder of these categories, however can attend and gain their 7hrs.
All bookings are subject to our Cancellation Policy and by registering for a course you are agreeing to its terms. Click here to read the CANCELLATION POLICY
FORS Members Discounts
FORS Members are able to apply membership discounts to FORS courses advertised on this website.
Contact us HERE if you would like to learn more.
If you wish to book groups of 5 or more delegates, or have private courses run at either our or a company venue, please get in touch with us venue us HERE